Friday, March 1, 2019

March has Arrived

  March arrived today with snow upon the ground and cold in the air.  Today is my love's birthday and though we had planned to celebrate together, circumstances arose that changed the plans.  Was I sad and disappointed?  Yes, because I wanted to wake up with him and look deep into his eyes and wish him a happy birthday.  Sometimes there are reasons that we cannot see or comprehend to why things happen to change our plans, but we must be flexible, understanding and open to when these occur.  Though I was not able to wake up beside him and look him in the eyes and tell him "happy birthday" with my not so lovely morning breathe, I was able to video tape myself singing happy birthday to him and send it via messenger.  We have been able to FaceTime each other and I was able to gaze upon his beautiful and endearing smile as we talked.  I sent him pictures of the cake and other goodies I had prepared, knowing that there will be another time that I can do it all over again, just for him.  I am happy in the knowledge that although we are not able to be together, we are still able to share this special day together through the wonderful advancements of technology.  Though it is not quite the same, there was once a time when all that you had the ability to do was make a phone call.  With the advancement of technology, individuals can now converse with their loved ones that are overseas or across the country and actually see them.  
    This has been a very powerful emotional week for myself.  It actually began with Friday, February 22nd, when I attending the woman's retreat at my church.  Instead of traveling several hours, the retreat was a "local" one held at the church. The theme: Go Be with People.  The guest speaker was amazing.  Our first half was about relationships. and why it is so important to build them.  By building relationships we are expressing the Kingdom of God by expanding our love for others.  God does not call or ask us just to love a few chosen people that enter into our lives, but to love EVERYONE.  While discussing relationships, three key statements about why we develop relationship struck out to me.  The first is that relationships are the sphere of influence in our lives.  That we are influence by and provide influence to those that are part of our lives, our workplace, church, the gym and anywhere we go. The second is that relationships are helpful in keeping us healthy.  Without relationships, one can become prone to depression and loneliness, two major factors that can impact a person's body health.  The third statement, which is my favorite; relationships are the glue in the chaos of life.  Yep, you read it right.  Without relationships and having individuals with whom we can talk and go out with, the chaos of just a normal day could overwhelm us to the point that we would be wearing a straight-jacket or be inches from jumping off the nearest cliff.  I had come to a realization that we truly take relationships for granted and do not realize just how important they are in our life.  God knew that us mere mortals would need binding and loving relationships.  People who would be in our life as parents, husband or wife, life-partner, family and friends.  That there would be those that come into our life for a reason, for a season and for eternity.  As we were finishing up Friday evening, the speaker told a story of a woman talking (praying) to God and asking Him to stop her from being a "door mat".  God told her, I did not create you to be a door mat but to be a "doorway!"  By being God's doorway, I can love everyone that enters into my life as He loves me-unconditionally.  Does this mean that they will love me in the same manner? No, but should that make a difference to the way I love them...NO!  As the doorway of God's love, I can build relationships with all that enter in my life, some will come and stay for awhile then leave, others will turn and walk back out, and then there will be those that come and stay with me for always. 
 Always love people!!!
     Day two, Saturday, February 23rd...Hospitality!!!  Now everyone that knows me, knows that I love to show hospitality.  Hospitality goes with the lesson Jesus taught about loving people.  We should love God first and then love others second.  By having hospitality in my life, then I am prepared to love on those that are in my life and those that are yet to enter my life.  What is hospitality?  The definition is a friendly and generous reception of guests, visitors and strangers.  How are we to be hospitable?  First; belonging always comes before believing.  Do not be afraid to invite someone into your life, even if it is someone whom you do not like. By bringing individuals into your life, they become the receiver of God's love and through His love, will be transformed.  Second; a welcoming experience can set people free.  When an individual is invited to an event or place where everyone is welcoming and expressing God's love, it is life-changing.  By being warm and welcoming, hopefully the individual will return, even if it is just to see if the welcome is still the same, and eventually God's love will again transform them.  Third; smile!!!  Welcome everyone with a warm and loving smile.  You know the smile that spreads from ear-to-ear and reaches your eyes.  A smile that says,"I am so glad you are here!"   A smile is just a frown turned upside down, so see if you can turn someone's frown around!!  You just never know how your smile could make someone, even a stranger's, day.  Remember that we are not to be the judge of others for you never know what the person may be going through or what has happened within their life or that very same day.  We all know the saying, "Do not judge an individual until you have walked a mile in their shoes!"  Well, I say walk 20 miles to truly discover what is happening in their lives.  My thought was always; "There, but for the Grace of God, go I."  I have been blessed in so many ways, how cannot I not share those blessings with others.  I no longer want to be selfish, but to be giving and fruitful by letting God's love shine through all my cracks.
     Ask yourself this question: "What is on your table at home?"  Is your table full of stuff or is your table ready for to welcome guests, visitors or strangers?  Your home does not have to be perfectly clean, you do not have to be "Susie Homemaker", your life does not even have to be all-together to invite someone in, but having your table ready, you are prepared to show kindness to others and welcome them in.  Invite someone to come to your table for coffee or tea.  Invite someone to your table at lunch or break if you eat in a cafe or cafeteria.  Invite individuals to come to your table so that you can be with them and pouring God's love on them.  When you invite them to your table, already have everything prepared so that you can be with them and not running around.  Play soft music, light candles, be present. Keep it simple, finger foods, a prepared dish, like lasagna.  When you are present and in the moment with people, you learn and see them for who they are.  You are showing them that you truly want to be with them and to build a relationship.  Most importantly, be flexible when inviting individuals into your life, for everyone is different and has different tastes.  By being flexible you are able to go with the flow and expand your life while inviting others in.   Remember these words:  Kindness is the key to hospitality and hospitality is the art of being flexible. No matter what "season" of your life that you find yourself, ask God to use you and to make you flexible, you will be amazed to where He leads you and to whom He brings into your life. 
     Sunday, February 24th was my mother's 84th birthday. In my heart, I knew that she was celebrating in Heaven with family, friends and most of all, the love of her life, my father.  While in church, during the time of praise, I was singing in the back and the prayer team was there to receive those that came to be prayed upon.  One of the members however heard from God to pray for me.  While she was praying, He gave her a message to give to me.  She came to me and told me that God wanted her to pray for me and the message was "I am in Control." I was so overwhelmed that I could not hold back the tears and I felt His presence with me.  I always pray for His will to be done in my life, but lately I have been struggling with some things.  These struggles have been keeping me from my sleep and feeling tense and stressed at work. Though I knew that I was trying to do it all on my own, that I had stumbled off my path and was having difficulty getting back on, He sent the message that I needed to hear.  Those four words got me back on the path and focused on Him once again.  Though the beginning of the work week, I was still being pressured by the world, I knew that He was in control and that all things in His time would be revealed and taken care of . I just had to step back and breathe His name and all was then calm.  I knew that my burdens and worries, He was asking me to hand over to Him and everything will be as He deems in my life.  
   Thursday, February 28th, God showed that in time, all things are going to be put right. My oldest son is going through some difficulties in his life, but through the message I received, he too, is understanding the God is in control and putting things the way He wants them through His time.  We must be patient and let Him be in control.  Which brings me back to today.  The man that God brought into my life was born 55 years ago, today, March 1, 1964.   This man is so very special and though he has gone through many challenges in his life, he has persevered and overcome.  As I sit and look out my window at the bird feeders, today I have had many visits from cardinals.  Not just one or two, but six, then eight, they just kept coming, both male and female. Many came and just sat among the rose bushes and stared into the window at me, while others took in some enjoyment from the feeders.  Among all the other little birds that were flirting in and out to enjoy the food, many just came to sit within the bushes, chirping while resting.  There is a saying that when cardinals come to visit it is our loved ones coming to check in.  Well apparently all my loved ones are visiting today.  My mother, father and grandparents and ancestors that I did not have the chance to meet, it is like a family reunion.  I also believe that  my love's mother is also stopping and visiting.  She wants me to let him know, that she is with him and to wish him a happy birthday. 



 My Prayer for Today:
   Lord, You are greater  than any hurt from others that is done unto me. 
   Your love is greater than any dislike or discord that from others I may see.
   You teach us to forgive daily and to move forward in love.
   While the world teaches us hatred and to push people aside.
   May You use me Lord, to show kindness, Grace and Mercy
  To invite individuals to come through  my doorway and enter in to Your Love.  
     In Jesus' Holy Name...Amen!

Pictures taken on March 1, 2019 by Darla E. Palombia 

Happy Birthday My Teddy Bear!!  I love you with all my heart!



    

No comments:

Post a Comment