Sunday, November 29, 2015

Finding Joy in November

November 29, 2015


  The cool crisp air arrived.  One day it is warm and beautiful, the next day is dull and dingy.                                      

                                                          Welcome Autumn!                                                           You just never know what the new day will bring weather wise, but one thing that remains the same is work.  Monday morning comes and it is time to begin the work week once again.  I enjoy Mondays and returning to work and seeing everyone again.  Hearing about the exciting things that they did over the weekend and settling back into the routine that is truly never a routine.  When you work in a school, there is never a dull moment.  The challenges that the young adults face each day with the barrage of information, expectations and disappointments pull at my heart strings.  One or two have even broken my heart, for I can see the goodness in them, but they cannot.  I pray for the youth, that they will find their way and that God will watch over them and strengthen them to be able to say No to Satan.  Drugs, internet, the type of television shows and violent games are only one source that evil is penetrating into the souls of the youth.  Growing up, Sundays were always the day spent with God and family.  I remember going to church and Catechism (Sunday School) and then heading to my Grandmother's for Sunday dinner.  Along the way, we would make a stop at Mancini's bakery to get fresh Italian bread, rolls and other delicious things to enjoy during the week.  During the warmer months, there would be a huge flea market at the shopping center and we would stop in there to see  what bargains may be obtained.  Sometimes we did not go to my grandmother's because of my dad's work schedule at the steel mill, so my mom would make dinner at home.  Whether it was spaghetti or pot roast, they were always prepared with love.
 The kitchen to me, is the most important room in the home.  It is the heart.  For in the kitchen is where you prepare meals for the family, do baking for the holidays and special occasions. It is a place where one can make something special for a family going through hard times.  It is where you can create delicious cookies, cakes, soups and stews.  The kitchen is also a place to relieve stress and anxiety and just let all your troubles and cares go.  There is something about kneading bread or pizza dough when you are upset that just relieves the tension.  The aromas of fresh baked cookies soothes and brings peace.  The smell of bread baking, brings back the memory of walking into the bakery knowing that satisfaction will soon be coming.  The whole house smells fabulously delicious. What I love about homemade and baking my own, is that I control the ingredients and the preparation of what I am cooking or baking. 
    Autumn, such a wonderful time to cook and bake.  Pumpkin, squash, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg are just some of the flavors and aromas of the Autumn season.  November brings all these flavors and so much more.  The kitchen begins to beat with the preparation of the holiday season. From hot and spicy chili to rich, creamy macaroni and cheese.  But the best thing of all, is the Thanksgiving feast.  I  love preparing the turkey and putting it into the oven early Thanksgiving morning. Then it is time to watch the  Macy's Thanksgiving day parade.  I still get excited when Santa comes down 34th street in the parade to start of the Christmas season. One day I will be in New York to see the parade.  This Sunday after Thanksgiving begins the Advent season.  During Advent we prepare for the arrival of the Savior.  We prepare to celebrate the birth of Christ Jesus.  
  I love November and this year Hallmark began the holiday movies on November 1st.  Even better was the new Peanuts movie that came into theaters on November 6th.  I grew up watching all the Peanuts holiday cartoons and the movie was not a disappointment.  It was such a good movie and for me,  a great way to start the holiday season.
 Also in preparation for the holiday season is the rehearsing for the Christmas Cantata on December 13, 2015 at the Leesburg Community Church.  I have been having a fun time learning the songs.  Wash FM has started the holiday music on the radio and I listen to my Trans-Siberian Orchestra and all my other Christmas music on my IPod. Nothing like great music to bring on the holiday feelings.     November though brings the darkness outside which can make it harder to walk Lily.  However, Lily and I are determined to walk, even if it is around the block four or five times.  Have flashlight, mace and Lily, will be stepping!!!  Not to mention, boot camp party, Zumba with Michelle and my workout DVDs, make a great way to workout and stay healthy.  With the early dark nights, makes a great time to study my college courses and what I like to do best, watch movies cuddled on the couch with a big bowl of fresh popped popcorn.  
 As November is coming to a close, I begin to decorate my home in anticipation of the birth of my Savior, Jesus Christ.  Christmas is just 26 days away and I love decorating, baking, singing carols and watching all the fun holiday specials and movies.  As I close out November, I want to just say that I am so very thankful for every moment that God has blessed me with.  For were He has brought me and for everything He has taught me and continues to teach me.  
Happy Thanksgiving 2015! 

Sharing some of my holiday memories:

Christmas Memories 2012

Kennywood Park 

Holiday Lights at Kennywood Park in Pittsburgh PA

Warm holiday memories

Time heals all things!

Chris of Trans-Siberian Orchestra

TSO Rocks 2012


Until I write again!

God's Blessings!



No comments:

Post a Comment